Yunbo "Will" Zhang, Ph.D
Department of Industrial & Systems Engineering
Golisano College of Computing and Information Sciences Ph.D. Program
Rochester Institute of Technology
Education:Ph.D in Mechanical and Automation Engineering at The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, 2012.
Master in Digital Design and Manufacturing at Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan, China, 2007.
Bachelor in Electronics and Information Engineering at Shandong University, Jinan, China, 2004.
Experience:Assistant Professor in Golisano College of Computing and Information Sciences Ph.D. Program at Rochester Institute of Technology, Sep 2019 ~ Present
Assistant Professor in Department of Industrial & Systems Engineering at Rochester Institute of Technology, Jan 2019 ~ Present
Assistant Professor in Department of Mechanical Engineering at Tennessee Technological University, Aug 2017 ~ Dec 2018.
Postdoc Research Associate in School of Mechanical Engineering at Purdue University, May 2014 ~ Jul 2017.
Research Scientist in Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering at University at Buffalo, SUNY, Jul 2013 ~ Apr 2014.
- 2019: A new paper "Customization and Topology Optimization of Compression Casts/Braces on Two-Manifold Surfaces" has been accepted by Computer-Aid Design, Special issue on Computer-Aided Design on Advances in Generative Design.
- 2019: A new paper "Shape Structuralizer: Design, Fabrication, and User-driven Iterative Refinement of 3D Mesh Models" has been accepted by ACM CHI 2019 with an acceptance rate 23.8%.
- 2019: Dr. Zhang joined Department of Industrial & Systems Engineering at Rochester Institute of Technology as an Assistant Professor on Jan-02.
- 2018: Dr. Zhang received a National Science Foundation grant, titled “Smart Manufacturing for America's Revolutionizing Technological Transformation”, as a Co-PI in collaboration with Dr. Khalid Tantawi (PI, Motlow Community College), Dr. Karen Wosczyna-Birch (Co-PI, Tunxis Community College), and Dr. Ismail Fidan (Co-PI, Tennessee Tech University).
- 2018: A new paper "Design and Interaction Interface using Augmented Reality for Smart Manufacturing" has been accepted by The 46th North American Research Conference (NAMRC 46) at College State, TX.
- 2017: A new paper "iSoft: A Customizable Soft Sensor with Real-time Continuous Contact and Stretching Sensing" has been accepted by ACM UIST 2017 with an acceptance rate 22.5%.
- 2017: Dr. Zhang was invited by The Millard Oakley STEM Center to give a talk about his emerging researches on "Computational Support for Personal Design & Manufacturing".
- 2017: Dr. Yunbo "Will" Zhang joined Department of Mechanical Engineering at Tennessee Technological University as an Assistant Professor on Aug-01.