Will Yunbo Zhang's research interests include geometric modeling & processing, additive manufacturing, human centric design & fabrication, design for fabrication, shape from gradient and geometric modeling for fast rendering. He has coauthored publications in ACM CHI, ACM UIST, IEEE TVCG, IEEE TASE, IEEE CGA, CAD, IEEE CVPR, and Eurographics. He also served as peer reviewer for CAD, CGForum, IEEE T-ASE, Eurographics and ACM Siggraph. From June 2014 to July 2015, he was a guest editor for special issue on "Technologies for Human Centric Free-form Products" of Computer-Aided Design and Application. He was rewarded with Best Lifestyle Bronze Award from Hong Kong ITC Awards in 2008, and Championship of Vice-Chancellor's Cup of Student Innovation from CUHK in 2009.
Advanced Manufacturing & Generative Modeling
Related Publication:1. Shane Terry, Hao Lu, Ismail Fidan, Yunbo Zhang, Khalid Tantawi, Terry Guo, Bahram Asiabanpour, The Influence of Smart Manufacturing towards Energy Conservation: A Review, MDPI Technologies, Accepted.
2. Yunbo Zhang, Tsz-Ho Kwok, Customization and Topology Optimization of Compression Casts/Braces on Two-Manifold Surfaces, Computer-Aided Design, Special issue on Computer-Aided Design on Advances in Generative Design, Accepted.
3. Yunbo Zhang, Tsz-Ho Kwok, Design and Interaction Interface using Augmented Reality for Smart Manufacturing, Procedia Manufacturing, 26, 1278-1286, 2018.
4. Yunbo Zhang, Tsz-Ho Kwok, An Interactive Product Customization Framework for Freeform Shapes, Rapid Prototyping Journal, 23(6), 1136-1145, 2017.
5. Wei Gao*, Yunbo Zhang*, Diogo C. Nazzetta, Karthik Ramani, Raymond J. Cipra, RevoMaker: Enabling Multi-directional and Functionally-embedded 3D Printing using a Rotational Cuboidal Platform, In Proceedings of UIST '15, Charlotte, NC, USA, Pages 437-446, 2015. (* Equal Contribution Authors, acceptance rate 23.6%).
6. Tsz-Ho Kwok, Charlie C.L. Wang, Dongping Deng, Yunbo Zhang, Yong Chen, 4D Printing for Freeform Surfaces: Design Optimization of Origami and Kirigami Structures, ASME Transactions - Journal of Mechanical Design, 137(11), 111413, 2015.
7. Wei Gao, Yunbo Zhang, Devarajan Ramanujan, Karthik Ramani, Yong Chen, Christopher B. Williams, Charlie C.L. Wang, Yung C. Shin, Song Zhang, Pablo D. Zavattieri, The Status, Challenges, and Future of Additive Manufacturing in Engineering, Computer-Aided Design, Special Issue on Geometric and Physical Modeling for Additive Manufacturing, 69, 65-89, 2015. (Top 1 downloaded in recent 90 days among all JCAD papers).
8. Yu Wang, Kai-Ming Yu, Charlie C.L. Wang, Yunbo Zhang, Automatic Design of Conformal Cooling Circuit for Rapid Tooling, Computer-Aided Design, vol.43, no.8, pp.1001-1010, August 2011.
Human Computer Interaction for Personalized Digital Manufacturing
1. Jonathan Ting, Yunbo Zhang, Sang Ho Yoon, James D. Holbery, Siyuan Ma, iMold: Enabling Interactive Design Optimization for In-Mold Electronics, In Proceedings of CHI EA '20: Extended Abstracts of the 2020 CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems.
2. Subramanian Chidambaram*, Yunbo Zhang*, Venkatraghavan Sundararajan, Niklas Elmqvist, Karthik Ramani, Shape Structuralizer: Design, Fabrication, and User-driven Iterative Refinement of 3D Mesh Models, In Proceedings of ACM SIGCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI 2019), May 4–9, 2019, Glasgow, Scotland, UK. (* Equal Contribution Authors, acceptance rate 23.8%).
3. Sang Ho Yoon, Ke Huo, Yunbo Zhang, Guiming Chen, Luis Paredes, Subramanian Chidambaram, Karthik Ramani, iSoft: A Customizable Soft Sensor with Real-time Continuous Contact and Stretching Sensing, In Proceedings of the 30th Annual ACM Symposium on User Interface Software & Technology (UIST 2017) , Quebec City, Canada, Oct 22-25, 2017. (Acceptance Rate: 22.5%)
4. Min Liu*, Yunbo Zhang*, Jing Bai, Yuanzhi Cao, Jeffrey Alperovich, Karthik Ramani, WireFab: Mix-Dimension Modeling and Fabrication for 3D Mesh Models, In Proceedings of the ACM Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI 2017), Denver, CO, May 6-11, 2017. (* Equal Contribution Authors, acceptance rate 25%).
5. Sang Ho Yoon, Yunbo Zhang, Ke Huo, Karthik Ramani, TRing: Instant and Customizable Interactions with Objects Using an Embedded Magnet and a Finger-Worn Device, In Proceedings of the 29th Annual Symposium on User Interface Software and Technology, pp. 169-181, 2016 (Acceptance rate 20.6%).
6. Cecil Piya, Vinayak, Yunbo Zhang, Karthik Ramani, RealFusion: An Interactive Workflow for Repurposing Real-World Objects towards Early-stage Creative Ideation, In Proceedings of Graphics Interface 2016, June 1-3, Victoria, BC, Canada, pages 85-92, 2016 (Acceptance Rate 39.4%).
7. Yunbo Zhang, Wei Gao, Luis Paredes, Karthik Ramani, CardBoardiZer: Creatively Customize, Articulate and Fold 3D Mesh Models, In Proceedings of the ACM 2016 CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems, May 7-12, San Jose, CA USA, pages 897-907, 2016 (Acceptance rate 23.4%).
Computer-aided Design & Manufacturing for Human-centered Products
1. Yunbo Zhang, Charlie C.L. Wang, Karthik Ramani, Optimal Fitting of Strain-Controlled Flattenable Mesh Surfaces, International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, pp. 1-15, 2016.
2. Yunbo Zhang, Charlie C.L. Wang, WireWarping++: Robust and Flexible Surface Flattening with Length Control, IEEE Transactions on Automation Science and Engineering, vol.8, no.1, pp.205-215, January 2011.
3. Charlie C.L. Wang, Yunbo Zhang, Hoi Sheung, From Styling Design to Products Fabricated by Planar Materials, IEEE Computer Graphics and Applications, vol.20, no.6, pp.74-85, November 2010.
4. Hongwei Lin, Yunbo Zhang, Charlie C. L. Wang, Shuming Gao, Flattenable Mesh Processing by Controllable Laplacian Evolution, ASME IDETC/CIE 2010 Conference, 30th Computers and Information in Engineering Conference, Montreal, Quebec, Canada, August 15-18, 2010.
Geometric Modeling & Computer Vision
1. Hao Peng, Chuhua Xian, Yunbo Zhang, 3D Hand Mesh Reconstruction from a Monocular RGB Image, accepted by Computer Graphics International (CGI) 2020, and conditionally accepted by The Visual Computer Journal.
2. Shuo Jin, Yunbo Zhang, Charlie C.L. Wang, Deformation with Enforced Metrics on Length, Area and Volume, Computer Graphics Forum Volume 33, Issue 2, pages 429–438, May 2014.
3. Wuyuan Xie, Yunbo Zhang, Charlie C.L. Wang, C.-K. Chung, Surface-from-Gradients: An Approach Based on Discrete Geometry Processing, 2014 IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, Columbus, Ohio, June 24-27, 2014. (Oral presentation paper - with acceptance ratio as 5.75%).
4. Tsz-Ho Kwok, Yunbo Zhang, Charlie C.L. Wang, Constructing Common base Domains by Cues from Voronoi Diagram, Graphical Models, Special Issue of 2012 Geometric Modeling and Processing (GMP) conference, June 20-22, 2012, Mount Huang, Volume 74, Issue 4, July 2012, Pages 152-163.
5. Tsz-Ho Kwok, Yunbo Zhang, Charlie C.L. Wang, Efficient Optimization of Common Base Domains for Cross-Parameterization, IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics, vol.18, no.10, pp.1678-1692, Oct. 2012.
6. Yuen-Shan Leung, Charlie C.L. Wang, Yunbo Zhang, Localized Construction of Curved Surfaces from Polygon Meshes: A Simple and Practical Approach on GPU, Computer-Aided Design, vol.43, no.6, pp.573-585, June 2011.